Have you bought an R4 3DS card for your Nintendo 3DS? If so, how are you enjoying it so far?
Part of why R4 3DS cards are amazing is the fact that you can install homebrew applications on your Nintendo 3DS.
You just have to make sure that you download Homebrew launcher and you’re all good to go.
Today, I want to talk about RetroArch. This is a homebrew application is an emulator and it emulates a lot of classic game consoles such as the NES, SNES, and Nintendo GBA.
RetroArch is the first of its kind as this emulator supports various game consoles. Back in the day, although there are plenty of emulators available for the Nintendo 3DS, there isn’t an emulator that supports multiple platforms.
If you’re fond of playing classic games, then this article is for you. I will teach you how to install the RetroArch emulator in your Nintendo 3DS.
The very first thing you need to do is get an R4 3DS cards. In the past, I would tell you to get an R4 3DS card that can support homebrew applications, but I wouldn’t say that today since most R4 3DS cards already support any kind of homebrew.
Just pick the one that you love the best; may it be from the performance or the price. Just make sure to opt for the original ones.
Anyway, here are the steps you need to do in order to install the RetroArch in your Nintendo 3DS:
- Go to the official Github page of RetroArch and download all of the necessary files.
- Plug your microSD card into your computer and allow it to recognize your card.
- Unrar all of the files you’ve downloaded from the Github page and put it in your microSD card’s root folder.
- Plug your microSD card into your R4 3DS card and plug it into the Nintendo 3DS.
- Fire up homebrew launcher and fire up the RetroArch homebrew application.
- It will prompt you to install the necessary files, in which case, you just choose “yes”.
- Allow it to install the files (it could take a couple of minutes).
- Next, download all of the classic ROMs you want to play (NES, SNES, and GBA games).
- Plug your microSD card again and create a folder named “ROMs”. This is where you will put the specific games you want to play.
- Plug the microSD card back into your R4 3DS card, run homebrew launcher again, and then run the RetroArch application.
- To play your game, in the RetroArch’s interface, just navigate the interface to the ROMs folder and allow it to scan for games.
- Next, it will present you with supported games and just choose from the list. Enjoy!
I know it is a lengthy process to get this homebrew application up and running but you will only do this procedure one.
All you have to do after the installation process is to download your favorite games, put them in the ROMs folder, and play it from the RetroArch application.
If you have an R4 3DS card and you want to play some classic games, then definitely get the RetroArch homebrew application.